Saturday, April 11, 2009

Wuthering heights...

uptil now news are good... :)

kher,

Wuthering heights was the first english classic that came into my hands,
I was in o,levels 1,
did nt understand much at that time, and the book failed to takle place in the favourite most,s list.
but since it was maya,s favourite, I gave it another try,
and ahhh, what a master piece it is..!




Sharing something out of it,

"For shame," Heathcliff!" I said " It is for God to punish wicked people; we should learn to forgive."
"No , God wont have the satisfaction that I shall," he returned.

And another

she put up her hand to clasp his neck, and bring her cheek to his as he held her;
while he, in return, covering her with frantic caresses, said wildly -

"You teach me now how cruel you've been - cruel and false. WHY did you despise me? WHY did you betray your own heart, Cathy? I have not one word of comfort. You deserve this. You have killed yourself. Yes, you may kiss me, and cry; and wring out my kisses and tears: they'll blight you - they'll damn you. You loved me - then what RIGHT had you to leave me? What right - answer me - for the poor fancy you felt for Linton? Because misery and degradation, and death, and nothing that God or Satan could inflict would have parted us, YOU, of your own will, did it. I have not broken your heart - YOU have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine. So much the worse for me that I am strong. Do I want to live? What kind of living will it be when you - oh, God! would YOU like to live with your soul in the grave?"

"Let me alone. Let me alone,'' sobbed Catherine. ''If I've done wrong, I'm dying for it. It is enough! You left me too: but I won't upbraid you! I forgive you. Forgive me!''

''It is hard to forgive, and to look at those eyes, and feel those wasted hands,' he answered. 'Kiss me again; and don't let me see your eyes! I forgive what you have done to me. I love MY murderer - but YOURS! How can I?''




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh yes wuthering heights!!! "Raja Gidh" is also one of my favorites dear and I think you had the same feelings for it on your first read. =D

By the way, I am reading Tagore's "Creative Unity". A collection of a few of his lectures and essays. Nice read.

You know you are in my prayers.

Y@mna rehman khan...! said...

yeah, thanks,
tumhari data darbaar wali dua kaam ker rhi he,
:grin, thanks yaar,
mera to sarmaya wese bhi yahi chand dost hen,
kher aaj aik aur good kaam ho gaya
pata he interview mai mjhse, wordsworth aur shakespear poocha,

ab answers de diye,
but then they asked me the name of another novel of shakespear,
and before realizing, I said Hamlet,
remember, U told me aabout it an year back... :grin

Anonymous said...

Yar tu tau mjhe sharmai gi!!!

Shakespeare didn't wrote novels he wrote plays!!!!!

Y@mna rehman khan...! said...

I know that,
the problem was they didnt know that, or maybe it was a mistake by them, I know shakespear wrote dramas,
:grin


bacha na samjha ho to

Nen said...

I find authoresses a bit too sentimental to read. I finished Frankenstein in three years. It is a pretty good book but its really hard to read the word 'wretched' so many times on every page. I'm currently reading the other Bronte sister's Jane Eyre though.

By the way there's this song Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush. Maybe you'd like to listen to it, or perhaps hate it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0azq9GF_g

Y@mna rehman khan...! said...

ahh, Yeah I,ll like to listen the song, not for the cause that I hope that I,ll love orrr hate it, just for the sake of trying..!

your first blog...?
You deleted it or what.....?

I hav,ent read Frankenstein,
I have read Jane Eyre, but long time back.
That time I liked it alot, dont know of now...!

read Anna Karenina, It,s good and not that very sentimental even...!
:grin

Nen said...

Maybe when I'm in my 60s and retired I'll read Anna Karenina. I feel far too occupied to consider reading books like that. I'm not a good book reader anyways. I start far too many books at a time. I'm never far too much into a single book to be able to really enjoy it. I have atleast 12 books lying all around my bed right now.

Yeah, I deleted the other blog, which definitely wasn't my first blog. I just do things like that.

Y@mna rehman khan...! said...

On the other hand I think when I,ll be in my sixties, I would be reading Razia butt, :grin

well too many at a time, always spoil the game.
I even dont like buying alot of books at the same time,
I just get confused what to choose, when having too many options...!

Nen said...

I'm never conscious about something that is so obviously stupid, until I talk about it. I'm definitely going to stop piling books now. I have enough books to last for atleast an year. Then there are e-books, that'll take a couple of years more if I do read them.

Anonymous said...

I am reading six books at this time...lolzzz... I am a good book reader but lately I am trying to find something (answers, I guess-- don't ask which answers) and I have this absurd believe that I will find it around me.

And about authoresses:

Well it was real hard to gulp down Jane Eyre even the first time. Yes Charlotte is sentimental and she is proud of it.

But come to writers like Jane Austen and Varginia Woolf I don't think I can agree with the Nen. But I can be prejudiced... I love them both :D.

'Wuthering heights' is different. I am somehow glad that Emily Bronte died after it...she couldn't have written better. I love the pre-moral aspect of the book. The narrative style, the philosophy and the lyrical beauty( even in horrific scenes)is remarkable. It is a difficult book to understand but if you do get to know it you can not enjoy more!

As for Anna...she is too real for me to bear in a single read... Tolstoy is unbelievably awesome! I am still reading her Yumi :P

Y@mna rehman khan...! said...

On the first note,
I wish you would complete Anna Karenina, and Aeli some day...!


well, are you reading those books for the first time, or reflecting back....?
Want to get a clear picture...!

And I liked Jane Eyre When I read it, times back.....!